Search the dictionary Advanced Search

How to use the Ojibwe People's Dictionary

omishoomeyan nad es

h/ uncle (parallel uncle: father's brother); h/ stepfather

Someone's father's brother and their mother's brother are both called uncle in English but in Anishinaabemowin they are called by different words. The father's brother is a parallel uncle; this is also a stepfather. There is no simple independent word for this relative. A personal prefix goes with the dependent noun stem /=mishoomey-/ parallel uncle to make a full word:
  • nimishoome my uncle (parallel uncle) (1s-3s)
  • gimishoome your uncle (parallel uncle) (2s-3s)
  • omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle)
    • [MN] omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle) / uncles (parallel uncles) (3s-3')
    • [BL] omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle) (3s-3's)
    • [BL] omishoomeya’ h/ uncles (parallel uncles) (3s-3'p)
The same words are used for someone's stepfather.
    Some basic forms of omishoomeyan h/ uncle (parallel uncle) are:

    omishoomeyan obv; omishoomeyan obv sg; omishoomeya' obv pl; Stem: /=mishoomey-/

    omishoomeyan obv gh


    omishoomeyan obv sg nj

    omishoomeya' obv pl nj